Saturday, February 14, 2009

Review for W.

I'm going to keep this review short,but still get all the important parts in.

Oliver Stone turned this movie out in impressive fashion,it's rumored that this movie took only 9 months to make. Based upon the life of George"Dubya"Bush,W. follows George from his partying days as a Yale frat boy to his final years in the White House as the president of the United States.

The movie follows two era's in George's life at once all the way until the end,where all we see is the the modern era Bush,plowing through Iraq hunting for terrorists.From his days working on an oil rig in Texas to running for Governer years later,Oliver Stone seemed to make sure he covered his bases.Early in the movie there was alot of alcohol involved but later in the movie we get to see curious George conquer his addiction when he becomes a reformed Christian.

I was skeptical of this movie at first,given Oliver Stone's political history but he did a splendid job of weaving in enough good and bad to make a clear picture.W. made Mr.Bush seem like the uncle we all wish we had as a kid,the laid back,down to earth guy who just wants to wear his cowboy boots in peace.We also get to see other side's of Bush that I didn't know existed.The feuds with his father George Sr., his passion for physical fitness and his fear of cameras(that explains alot).

The end of the movie left me feeling bad for the man quite frankly. He seemed like a puppet on a string,wanting to please everybody and not sure who to turn to for advice. I think it's fair to say that the movie portrayed Donald Rumsfeld and Dick Cheney as the ringleaders behind the Iraq war.Maybe that is true and maybe it isn't but I think that this film portrays things from a different perspective than what we've been fed by the mainstream media for the last 8 years.Josh Brolin was very commanding on screen as Bush and at times I forgot I was watching actors and not real life.

I give this movie a 3 for two simple reasons.First of all,it wasn't a stand out film.It was good,but it was just average good.I doubt that any of the actors in this movie will have their careers defined by their roles in the film.Secondly,I hated the flashbacks.At one point it would be 2001,then flash to 1966,then to 1988,then to 2002,so it was a little annoying at some points. The only other qualm I have with W. is the fact that it can't decide if it wants to be a drama or a comedy.This may have been done on purpose,I don't know.

So there you have it.W. in all his glorious and well....not so glorious times.I hope you all have found this to be a little bit helpful at least,maybe it will convince some people like me who couldn't decide if the movie would be worth two hours of your life.It was worth my two hours,barely.

No comments:

Post a Comment